Monday 27 June 2011

Being a Ginger-nut!

Hey,

An odd post for you today!

As you may have noticed both myself and L are redheads, or other names we have been (or get) called are Ginge, Carrot top, Ginger nut, Ginga, or just plain old Ginger. Even my little one shouts Ginge at me (mostly because her Dad tells her to!). We've botth dyed our hair from blond to darker richer reds in the past - though both natural at the moment as we could never find a shade we were happy with.

With being a redhead and having fair freckly skin, make-up can be a nightmare for us. A lot of brands don't stock shades of foundation pale enough for our skin tone and most brands don't even think about our colouring when it comes to products.

But at the moment redheads seem bang on trend, below are a few of my favourite natural and fake redheads. When I look for make-up inspiration for myself I do tend to look to these celebrities for ideas.

Top L -R Jayma Mays (Glee), Alyson Hannigan (Buffy & How I met your Mother), Isla Fisher. Bottom L -R Karen Gillian (Doctor Who) and Kate Walsh (Private Practice & Greys Anatomy).


Top L-R Emma Stone (Easy A & Superbad), Nicole Kidman, Christina Hendricks (Mad Men), Bottom L -R Julianne Moore, Amy Adams, Nicola Roberts

Top L -R Laura Prepon (That 70s Show), Lindsay Lohan, Florence Welch (Florence & the Machine). Bottom L - R Cinita Dicker (Model Victoria Secrets), Debra Messing (Will & Grace), Lily Cole.

As you can see red is everywhere at the moment especially if you look at the likes of Rihanna going bright red and Blake Lively (Gossip Girl) going copper for a film role.

With learning to except my hair colour I have now found websites dedicated to help and provides make-up designed especially with us Gingers in mind. I have mentioned one of these sites previously, its called Just for Redheads. The brand is created by Paula Pennypacker and everything is designed and aimed at redheads, you can see my previous post here on the items I own. The shades of foundation, lippies and eyeshadows all complement our awkward colouring...its fantastic. Though I wish we had something similar in the UK as shipping costs can make purchasing from there quite expensive. But is thanks to Just for Redheads that I finally began wearing Mascara - their range is amazing for fair eyelashes.


The second site I have found is a very recent discovery, I can't even remember how I found it. Its How to be a Redhead and is run by two sisters (Adrienne and Stephanie) that are natural redheads, they created the site to help provide complimentary redheaded techniques in beauty and fashion! Its lovely to get hints and tips aimed for us.

Its actually quite nice to have somewhere to turn for inspiration and ideas on beauty looks and trends when you are a redhead. I feel we both have learnt to except our hair colouring - we know need to do some work on finding more Holy Grail products that suit us.


Sorry for my little random post but it often bothers me when looking at new beauty items released, that there sometimes is nothing that will suit my skin tone and won't clash with my hair colour!


Thanks







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just totally understand!
I'm a red hair!!
I suffered a lot from this, and I wasn't able to dye my hair, it did not work.
Now I'm happy with it.
Thanks for the sites!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...